The Sandwell Steelers are one of the top young programmes in Britball, having had great success since their formation in 2013.
They entered the league in 2014 and their Senior team went undefeated on their way to promotion in only their second season, before this year following that up with a second straight Divisional Championship – quite an achievement in their first season in Division One football! Alongside a successful Senior team, the Steelers offer a youth programme, as well as being one of the leaders in the women’s game – sending Linebacker turned Quarterback Sydney Green to the #GBLions this year, who completed her very first pass for a touchdown against Team Spain this past weekend!
Following the end of the 2016 season, Head Coach for the past two seasons, Jay Alexander, is stepping down due to increasing commitments outside of football. Coach Alexander will still be involved within the club, with a role yet to be determined.
The Steelers shared a message of thanks to Coach Alexander for his service and leadership over the past few years on their Facebook page. Coach Alexander assume the club’s Head Coach role after a their inaugural 2-8 season, and followed this by leading the Steelers to an undefeated Division Two North title and promotion to the MFC1. The 2016 season saw the Steelers achieve a 10-2 record, where they reached the Semi Finals. His record stands at 23-2, with a playoff record of 4-1.
Seeking a new lead for their Seniors, the Steelers shared the following message:
The Sandwell Steelers are currently looking to recruit a head coach for the 2017 Senior season.
The Sandwell Steelers will be competing in the MFC1 Congerence, and the individual appointed will be tasked with leading a disciplined, hard working and progressive organisation. The Seniors team train every Wednesday evening and Sunday Morning (time TBC), January to August.
With the relevant support you will develop and implement:
- Playbooks to provide a strong core foundation for the team to achieve success in BAFANL
- Support the club with coaching recruitment, and implementing a coaching development scheme to ensure a pipeline of coaching talent for the future
- Must be able to attend a minimum of 90% of training sessions and 100% of games
- Plan each practive and share that plan with the coaching staff and Team Manager at least 24 hours in advance of each session.
- Maintain safety standards and ensure at all times the members of the club are protected while enjoying american football
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct as set out by the Club’s consitution
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of successfully coaching a high level of contact football as a HC/OC/DC in the past
- Hold a level 2 BAFCA Coaching Badge, or a Level 1 BAFCA Coaching Badge with significant coaching experience. If the applicant does not hold a Level 2 we would be willing to support them in acquiring one.
- The ability to develop and implement a season plan
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and organise others effectively as a team
- Motivation and leadership qualities to lead a diverse range of individuals
- An ethos that is aligned with the club’s mission statement and values.
Closing date for applications is 7th October 2016
Interviews will take place between 10-24 October 2016
To apply, please send a Coaching CV and Cover Letter to Sandwell Steelers Chairman Anthony Green at: email@example.com