On today’s Coach and Coordinator podcast, the “Deep Dive on Defense” series continues as Slade Calhoun sits down with guest host Chris Vasseur.
Calhoun is the defensive coordinator at Munford High School in Tennessee and was featured on USA Football’s “Film to Field Friday” segment featuring the Fight to Track.
Calhoun joined Vasseur to talk about his transition from a 4-2-5 defense to a 3-4 defense as well as some feedback on his experience with the Advanced Tackling System and the Five Fights.
- Coach’s journey
- How close was Coach’s defense to TCU’s
- Language system
- Calling a defense
- Tying together front and secondary
- Reason for changing defenses
- Why did Coach change the entirety of the system
- What coaches who are switching to an odd front need to be aware of
- When to stop thinking in terms of conversion as opposed to the new front
- Go to vs balanced pro I
- Fitting coverage vs 10 and 11 personnel
- Effect RPO’s have had on defenses
- Chasing ghosts
- Other transitions coach had to make
- Other concerns with transitioning to new defense
- New coverages with defensive change
- Not being afraid
- Coach’s thoughts on the Five Fights
- Pressure Situation Call